Wednesday, January 09, 2008


Extra, Extra read all about it: Fisherman Looking For lost Teeth. Here’s one of the best fishing stories I’ve ever heard. To protect the identity of the fisherman this happened to we’ll just call him Walt Matuszak. As the story goes Walt was fly fishing at Matanzas inlet and was hooking up with bluefish. All but one of Walts flies had succumbed to the toothy bluefish. Down to his last fly he hooked and landed a small blue. Walt went to remove the hook from the fish’s mouth with his right hand while holding it under its belly with his left hand. As he reached for the hook the fish opened its mouth and clamped down on his finger. (If you know anything about bluefish you know they have a mouth full of sharp teeth.) That had to hurt!
Not being able to reach for his pliers for the fear that the blue would have torn his finger apart if he let go of it, Walt decided to bite the fish in its back. He bit down hard enough that the fish opened its mouth and released its grip on the finger. When this happened Walt released his bite on the fish and the fish flopped out of his left hand and into the water. The fish sat there for a second, stunned, then began to swim off. As it swam off Walt noticed something sticking out of its back, it was four of his teeth that became dislodged from a plate in his mouth. This turned out to be one expensive fishing trip for Walt. P.S. If anyone catches a fish with teeth in its back you should return them to Walt. I’m sure he’d find a place for them on his trophy shelf.
I didn’t even bother fishing during the cold front we had last week. Instead I opted to wait until a few days after the front passed. When it did I went out to see if I could find some trout, and I did. All I brought with me that day was my fly rod. When I got to my spot it was dead low tide. It wasn’t until the tide started coming in that I began to catch fish. I caught and released 5 trout to 16”. I caught them on an EP chartreuse and white rattle fly. I also had 6 other trout come up and smack the fly but couldn’t connect. About an hour and a half into the rising tide the bite turned off.
I got a call the other day from Capt. Chris Herrera Telling me he was in Stomach Lake looking for redfish and saw a couple of small singles but no schools of reds. He did however pole up on a couple of 30” trout but they wouldn’t eat what he threw at them.
Johnny Garrett at Flagler Beach Bait and Tackle reports lots of whiting being caught. Black drum, sheepshead in the 5 to 7 lb range, bluefish and an occasional red and pompano are all being caught.
Jake Jaquish at Highbridge Bait and Tackle reports lots of redfish coming from the area backwaters. Also, lots of reds are along the banks of the ICW at low tide.



Photo: Steve Gombar, Tony Napoleon and Mike Marrale fished Dec. 30th for these 22” reds and 18” flounder. The fish were caught on live shrimp.