Monday, January 23, 2012



We’ve had some great weather this winter here in Flagler. The past week has been awesome. With bluebird skies and temperatures hovering in 70’s who could ask for anything more? Well, I can think of one thing and that would be great fishing. And that’s exactly what we have at the present time. Redfish, trout, bluefish and flounder are all ready to accept your offering. I’ve had days when I would lose count of the amount of trout or redfish that were brought to the boat.
Some of the best trout fishing has come in the evening from about 4 PM to dark. This is when they seem to go into a feeding frenzy. You can see them busting on glass minnows and small menhaden. If your going to throw artificial baits I would suggest such small lures like the YO-Zuri Pins Minnow. A Berkley Gulp jerk shad fished on a jig head or a weighted worm hook is also affective. I know most people don’t fly fish and you might get tired of me writing about it but my favorite way to catch trout, or any other fish for that matter, is with a fly.
Steve Carl had called me about a week ago to tell me that the evening trout bite was going off so we made plans to head out the next day. We met at the boat ramp and headed out armed with just fly rods for tackle. When we pulled up to our destination I told Steve to tie on one of my new white trout flies I’ve been tying. He took my advice and we started fishing. It started out a little slow but as the sun became lower in the sky the better the fishing became. At one point you were hooked up on almost every cast. The action was off the charts. We lost count of the trout we boated and released. It had gotten dark and difficult to see where we were casting so we finally had to call it quits. It also didn’t help that in the dark my fly line had got eaten by my trolling motor propeller (not a good thing to do to a $75 fly line). When we left they were still biting.
On another trip I did last week with a couple of fellows from Nebraska we had the same time of action but with redfish. It was the middle of the day and I had them fishing in the ICW using live shrimp. We came upon a 20’ wide section along the bank and didn’t leave it for two hours. It was nonstop action, one fish after another. If you left that swath of water there were no fish.
Get out and enjoy this weather while it lasts!!!