Wednesday, March 28, 2007

There is loads of bait in the ICW right now. Large schools of mullet and glass minnows are apparent. This is a good thing because with the bait comes fish that feed on it. This is holding true when it comes to snook fishing. I received a first hand report the other day from an angler that had been out two nights in a row fishing the Highbridge area. He said there was bait and snook all over the area and he was catching a lot of them using a diving plug. I can attest to the snook biting because I landed my first of the season this past weekend. I had two that went 16 and 21 inches using a 7m mirrolure. The smaller fish swallowed almost the whole plug but with some careful hook removal the fish was released unharmed. Looks like it’s time to break out the fly rod to see if they will hit a topwater fly. I had good success last year with a Rainy’s bubblehead fly in the 2/0 size. These flies can be ordered online through Bass Pro Shops.
I’m a little stumped as to where the trout are. I’ve been getting some trout here and there but nothing close to the quantity of past years. Even last year I noticed that the trout bite was slow and this year seems to be starting off in much the same way. Maybe the lack of cold winter weather has had something to do with it or maybe it’s just a cycle they go through. I have no idea but I’m hoping things improve as the season progresses.
The flounder bite has been on the upswing in the ICW with some decent size fish in the 20” range showing up. Last week Capt. Ralph Olivett had three good size flounder he caught in the flats using Berkley gulp jerk baits. I’ve also had some nice flounder while live lining shrimp in the ICW. Flounder are very aggressive and have no problem coming off the bottom to eat bait. Live mullet and mud minnows are also excellent baits for flounder.
There are still some schooling reds in the flats but you have to search for them. Last week Capt. Chris Herrera and I had a group of fly fishermen out for reds and came across a school of about 100 reds but they would not take a fly. We lost the school so we headed off in different directions to search for more and neither of us had any luck. We had very windy conditions that day which can make it hard to locate fish.
The warmer water will also bring in the Manatees and they have arrived. They were all around my boat last week when I fishing a canal in Flagler Beach. I have also spotted them cruising the ICW so be careful out there when running your boat.


Photo: Sal Pasalaqua and his cousin Frank Pasalaqa show off a flounder and a couple of trout they got while live lining shrimp in the ICW.